Is My Blood Pressure Really High – or Just a Reflection of My Lifestyle?

A Hospital Reading That Raised Questions 


Last year I was in the hospital. They measured my blood pressure several times. It was too high — above 150/90 mm Hg, and on some days even over 180/100. The doctor suggested that I might need medication to regulate it.

Man measuring blood pressure at night in a quiet room, reflecting on stress and lifestyle impact


Morning Calm, Evening Tension 

Now, at home, I measure my blood pressure at least twice a day. The cuff tightens and the device beeps. In the morning, the numbers look almost textbook: around 120/75. In the morning I am rested and calm. The world has not yet become demanding, and my thoughts move more slowly.

During the day, my pressure remains appropriate for my age — around 135/85. I work, I handle things, the phone rings, but I still feel in control. Then evening comes. I sit at the table, thinking about tasks I have not completed, and I feel that familiar tightness in my chest. I measure my pressure. 150/90, sometimes higher. And the same thought appears every time: “What is wrong with me?”


When the Body Reacts to Stress

I asked my doctor that question directly. He was not surprised. “Your blood pressure depends on how you function in a given moment,” he said. He explained that under stress, part of the nervous system activates to prepare the body for action. The heart beats faster, the blood vessels constrict slightly, and pressure rises. It is not a malfunction. It is a response.


The Silent Evening Alarm

On my way home, I found myself thinking about something else. I was not only interested in the mechanism. I wanted to understand why almost every evening I am in a quiet state of alarm. Why, just before sleep, my body still behaves as if it must be ready for effort.

I noticed that my evening blood pressure does not rise because of one single event. It rises because of accumulation. Unfinished obligations. The feeling that I should have done more. That inner voice saying, “You haven’t done enough.” It seems my heart listens to that voice more closely than I do.


A Small Evening Experiment 

So I began meditating in the evenings, though I did not expect much. Ten minutes of silence and slow breathing. At first I sat restlessly, my thoughts jumping from one problem to another. But after a few weeks I noticed a change. Not only in the numbers, though they were lower. There was also a shift in how I felt — as if the body had finally decided there was no immediate danger.

One evening my wife said, “You’re different today. Less tense.” I measured my pressure again. It was lower than usual at that hour. It was not a miracle. I had simply stopped competing with the day that was already over and worrying about the day that had not yet arrived.


Medication or Self-Regulation? 

I am not ignoring reality. If my blood pressure were permanently elevated, I would take medication without hesitation. I understand what long-term hypertension means and the risks it carries. But in my case, it is clear that much of the fluctuation comes from the way I respond to pressure.

Now I see the evening rise in blood pressure as a signal to pause. When the numbers go up, I ask myself, “What is happening with me today? Why am I tense?” Sometimes the answer is fatigue. Sometimes excessive drive. Sometimes I have simply taken on too much. And sometimes I do not allow the day to end.


Blood Pressure as a Signal

My blood pressure does not only speak about arteries or age. It speaks about limits. About how much I allow myself, and how much I push beyond what is reasonable. About whether I can set worries aside before going to sleep.

Perhaps the hardest part of treatment is admitting that I do not always need more control. Sometimes I need more quiet. 

Comments

Popular Posts