Growing Older: Physical Decline or a Shift in Self-Belief?
A Conversation I Never Forgot
I remember when a colleague celebrated his fiftieth birthday. I asked him, “How do you feel? Is anything different now?”He smiled slightly and said, “I don’t actually feel any different. But I do feel that I’m slowly losing strength.”
At the time, I took his answer as a joke, or as that familiar kind of male self-irony. It seemed to me that he was exaggerating. He was active, reasonable, physically fit. He did not look like someone who was declining.
And yet, his sentence stayed with me.
I am not entirely sure why. Perhaps because he was not speaking about pain or illness, but about a sensation.
When It Was My Turn
When I turned fifty myself, nothing dramatic happened. The day felt like any other. My body did not change overnight. My thinking did not shift either.
But after a few years, I began to notice something more difficult to define. It was not a clear physical decline. I was still capable. I hiked in the mountains, worked in the garden, and handled heavier tasks without particular difficulty.
What changed was my internal assessment of myself.
Somewhere inside, a quiet doubt began to form. When I thought about more demanding tasks, they seemed heavier than before. Not because my body could not manage them, but because I began to perceive them as too much. Looking back, I would say that at that time my mental strength was about ten years older than my body.
The Afternoon in the Forest
I felt this discrepancy most clearly one day in the forest. My son and I were cutting firewood. In front of me stood a chestnut tree, not especially thick, already dry and slightly leaning. I held a saw in my hand and knew it was routine work. I had felled dozens of similar trees.
Yet suddenly I hesitated.
The tree seemed larger, more dangerous than it truly was. A feeling of weakness surfaced. It was not panic. It was more like a quiet conviction that this was no longer for me.
As if something inside said, “Be careful. This is no longer your domain.”
I stood there for a few minutes, thinking about whether to begin. The doubt was uncomfortable because it did not arise from a realistic assessment of risk. It felt more like a label I had started to assign to myself: that I was becoming too old for such tasks.
When Perception Spreads
That feeling did not appear only in front of that tree. Gradually, it extended to other challenges. What I once accepted without much reflection, I now weighed more carefully. At times, I stepped back before even trying.
Outwardly, everything looked the same. Inwardly, something had shifted.
If I try to understand this soberly, without dramatizing it, it seems to me that several factors were involved. With age, one becomes more aware of consequences. Experience no longer serves only as a source of confidence, but also as a reminder of mistakes and injuries. The brain becomes more oriented toward safety than toward risk. To some extent, this is a reasonable adaptation.
From a neurobiological perspective, the balance between systems that promote action and those that signal caution changes slightly over time. The dopaminergic system, associated with motivation and reward, may operate less intensely. At the same time, accumulated experience strengthens precautionary patterns. This does not necessarily indicate illness or depression. It may simply reflect a natural shift in attention.
The Power of Belief
However, natural processes do not explain everything. Beliefs also play a significant role. If a man repeatedly hears — or tells himself — that he is getting old, that he is no longer suited for demanding tasks, this begins to shape his self-image.
I caught myself several times saying jokingly, “I’m not exactly young anymore.” Such statements seem harmless, but when repeated, they slowly form an internal narrative.
And narratives influence behavior.
A Different Reaction
Ten years later, I experienced an interesting contrast. An ice storm had brought down dozens of large trees in the forest. The situation was objectively more demanding than the earlier one with the chestnut. The trunks were thicker, the terrain more complicated.
This time, I did not hesitate.
I took a heavy saw and began working. I cut through fallen trees and then felled several standing ones. There was no particular courage involved, no surge of adrenaline. I simply worked.
Only later did I reflect on how differently I had reacted compared to that earlier afternoon. Physically, I was not stronger. If anything, I was older.
The difference lay in my internal evaluation. I had allowed myself to think that I was capable. Fear and doubt did not have space to expand.
Depression or Something Else?
This led me to question whether my earlier sense of weakness had truly reflected physical decline, or whether it had been largely a mental construction.
Depression is one possible explanation when a person loses confidence, energy, and interest. Yet in my case, there was no persistent sadness, no loss of pleasure, no deep hopelessness. What I experienced was more selective — a reduction of confidence in certain situations.
Psychology describes the concept of self-efficacy — the belief that one is capable of performing a particular task. This belief does not always correspond to actual ability. It can be too high or too low. When it is too low, a person withdraws before testing his limits. When it is too high, he risks carelessness.
Perhaps mine had temporarily decreased. Not because my strength had truly diminished, but because my internal story about myself had shifted. For a period, I saw myself as someone who was fading. And my body began to follow that image.
Real Limits and Mental Boundaries
Over the years, I have learned to observe these shifts more carefully. When I sense doubt, I try to ask whether it is grounded in facts or in an idea about who I am supposed to be at this age.
This is not about denying limitations. The body has its boundaries, and they deserve respect. But not every boundary is real. Some are mental.
Today, I look at aging somewhat differently than I did that day in front of the chestnut tree. I do not deny that strength changes. Reaction speed is not the same as it was at thirty. Recovery takes longer.
At the same time, I recognize that part of the feeling of decline is connected to inner dialogue.
Perhaps that is what my colleague meant when he spoke about slowly losing strength. Not that he was objectively failing, but that he had begun to experience himself differently.
This change is quiet and gradual. It does not arrive with pain, but with a subtle doubt.
For me now, the question is no longer whether I am declining or not. What interests me more is whether I can distinguish between actual decline and a mental image of it.
Sometimes the difference is small. But it matters.
And perhaps that is one of the quieter aspects of maturity — to acknowledge both, without turning either into a larger story than necessary.
Comments
Post a Comment