Do Evil People Really Exist?
Or Are We Calling Something Else “Evil”?
A few days ago I noticed a discussion on an internet forum about evil people. I no longer remember the exact question. Something about malicious people and how they affect others.
And my first reaction was immediate.
I thought: "What a strange word."
Not because harmful people do not exist. They obviously do. Anyone who has lived long enough eventually encounters manipulation, emotional games, humiliation, revenge, aggression, selfishness, cruelty, or people who somehow leave psychological damage behind them like leaking oil from an old engine.
But the word evil itself suddenly felt too simple. Almost suspiciously simple.
Because once we label somebody “evil,” the mind stops examining what is actually happening underneath. The person becomes a category instead of a complicated psychological process.
And that bothered me. So I started thinking about my own life.
The One Time I Crossed My Own Line
I asked myself a fairly uncomfortable question: Have I ever intentionally harmed another person?
Surprisingly, I could remember only one situation clearly.
Many years ago, someone persuaded me to create problems for another person. Nothing catastrophic. Just enough to make life more difficult for them. Looking back, I still do not entirely understand why I agreed. Probably because I was unable to resist the pressure of the person influencing me.
That fascinates me even today. Not because guilt consumed me afterward. It actually did not. The strange thing was something else: the behavior itself felt unnatural. As if I had temporarily stepped outside my own psychological structure.
It simply was not in my nature.
That sentence may sound self-protective, but I think most people intuitively understand what I mean. Human beings carry internal ethical limits shaped by personality, empathy, upbringing, temperament, and emotional structure. Sometimes we violate those limits under pressure, fear, conformity, or influence — but afterward something inside us recognizes: "This was not really me."
And I never repeated anything similar again. Not because somebody morally corrected me afterward. It simply did not psychologically fit.
The experience actually taught me something uncomfortable: ordinary people can occasionally participate in harmful behavior surprisingly easily if the right social pressure appears.
Psychology has studied this for decades. Experiments involving authority, conformity, and group pressure repeatedly show that humans are far more suggestible than they like to believe. Most people imagine they would behave heroically under moral pressure. Reality is often less flattering.
People adapt. They comply. They avoid conflict. They follow stronger personalities. Which is precisely why manipulation works.
The Friendly Person Who Became Dangerous
Then another memory surfaced.
This time somebody attempted to pressure me into harming a third person again. But now I was older and more psychologically aware.
The manipulation was subtle. One of those situations where somebody slowly recruits you emotionally into their conflict while pretending they are simply being honest, rational, or misunderstood.
And at first I partially agreed with them. The third person truly was imperfect. Their criticism was not entirely invented.
But underneath the conversation there was another expectation: they wanted me to participate. And this time I refused.
That refusal immediately created tension.
What made the situation psychologically disturbing was that the person himself appeared, outwardly, completely normal. Even likable. Friendly. Helpful. Hospitable. Socially warm. The sort of person other people would probably describe as good-hearted.
Which immediately destroys the simplistic fantasy people often have about “bad people.”
Very few harmful individuals walk around visibly radiating villainy like movie characters. Most appear completely ordinary. Some are charming. Some are generous. Some are socially skilled enough that outsiders never see the darker side at all.
Human beings are psychologically inconsistent.
A person can genuinely care for certain people while simultaneously manipulating others. They can be kind socially yet cruel when emotionally threatened. Empathetic in one situation and vindictive in another.
The human psyche is not morally symmetrical.
And after I refused to cooperate, the relationship slowly deteriorated.
At first there were smaller tensions. Passive aggression. Attempts at pressure. Emotional manipulation. The usual psychological territory where one person tries to regain control while pretending nothing unusual is happening.
Then years later things escalated. That same person publicly humiliated me, threatened me, attempted intimidation, and behaved aggressively enough that the situation eventually ended in court.
And there, something deeply revealing happened psychologically. The aggressive, threatening man suddenly became terrified. Not morally reflective. Not remorseful. Terrified. He was enormously relieved when the consequences turned out milder than he feared.
That contrast stayed with me for years. Because suddenly the entire structure underneath the aggression became visible.
What Exists Beneath Aggression
Most people instinctively explain harmful behavior through morality:
good people, bad people, evil people.
Psychology usually sees something more primitive underneath. Fear. Status. Control. Shame. Insecurity. Humiliation. Powerlessness. Entitlement. Emotional immaturity. Poor empathy regulation.
This does not excuse harmful behavior. That distinction matters enormously. Understanding is not the same thing as tolerance.
But once you start observing human behavior closely, you notice that many aggressive or manipulative people are psychologically driven by survival mechanisms rather than some abstract force called evil.
People who constantly dominate others often fear weakness intensely. People who manipulate frequently fear loss of control. Narcissistic personalities often carry extremely fragile self-esteem hidden beneath superiority. Psychopathic traits correlate strongly with reduced empathy and emotional detachment from consequences affecting others.
Underneath much destructive behavior there is usually not dark philosophical evil. There is primitive emotional structure.
That does not make the damage smaller for the victim, of course. Being manipulated still hurts. Humiliation still hurts. Threats still hurt. Psychological invasion still hurts.
Humans are biologically extremely sensitive to social aggression because throughout evolution social exclusion, humiliation, or loss of status could threaten survival itself.
The nervous system reacts strongly when another person attempts domination or emotional injury. And perhaps that is why these experiences remain psychologically vivid for so many years afterward.
Why Naive People Often Become Targets
Looking back, I also realized something uncomfortable about myself.
For a long time I was psychologically naïve. Not stupid. Not weak. Simply, naïve. I automatically assumed that other people operated internally more or less the way I did.
Psychologists sometimes call this projection bias. Human beings naturally project their own emotional structure onto others. If you dislike manipulation, you underestimate manipulative thinking. If you value fairness, you expect similar limits in others. If you rarely think strategically in relationships, you fail to notice when somebody else already is.
And that creates vulnerability. Naive people often enter relationships openly while manipulative personalities enter them strategically. The difference becomes visible only later.
With time I became less naive. Not cynical exactly. I still believe most people are not malicious in any dramatic sense. Most are simply flawed, emotional, inconsistent creatures trying to survive psychologically while carrying unresolved internal conflicts.
But now I recognize certain patterns much faster. People who constantly pressure boundaries. People who require control. People who create emotional confusion around simple situations. People who punish disagreement disproportionately. People who manipulate through guilt, fear, obligation, or intimidation.
And perhaps the most important psychological change is this: I no longer automatically place such individuals on the same ethical level I place myself.
That sounds arrogant at first, but it is actually practical. Because manipulation works best when you unconsciously assume the other person shares your emotional rules. Once you realize they may not, the entire interaction changes.
Understanding Without Surrendering
One of the biggest mistakes empathetic people make is believing that understanding harmful behavior somehow obligates them to tolerate it. It does not.
You can understand why somebody behaves destructively and still remove them from your life. You can recognize trauma, narcissism, insecurity, or emotional damage while still protecting your own psychological boundaries. You can understand aggression without volunteering to absorb it.
That distinction took me years to fully understand.
Especially because empathetic people often experience boundary-setting as guilt. They fear appearing cold, unfair, or cruel. Meanwhile manipulative personalities frequently interpret empathy as access.
And once somebody repeatedly invades your psychological space, the healthiest response is often surprisingly simple: distance.
Not revenge. Not obsession. Not endless moral analysis.
Distance.
So Does Evil Exist?
And eventually I returned to the original question. Do evil people exist? Honestly, I still dislike the word. It feels too mythological for something that is usually psychologically human.
What we call evil is often a mixture of fear, insecurity, emotional immaturity, narcissism, low empathy, power-seeking, unresolved shame, survival instincts, and the willingness to sacrifice other people’s wellbeing for personal psychological advantage.
Some individuals absolutely become dangerous. Some create enormous suffering. Some repeatedly exploit and damage others without visible remorse. But even then, psychology rarely finds “pure evil” underneath. It usually finds distorted human survival mechanisms operating without sufficient empathy or self-awareness.
And perhaps maturity consists partly in recognizing this without becoming naïve again.
The world contains manipulative people. Aggressive people. Narcissistic people. Sometimes even genuinely dangerous people. Pretending otherwise is childish. But reducing them to cartoon villains is equally simplistic.
In the end, the most useful question probably is not: “Are they evil?”
But: “How close do I allow such people to come to my inner life?”
Because some people do not need to destroy you dramatically to damage your psychological world. Sometimes they only need enough access to slowly make you doubt yourself, exhaust yourself, or lose your sense of peace.
And learning to recognize that early may be one of the most valuable psychological skills adulthood offers.
Comments
Post a Comment