Fear of Failure — Or Something Much Stranger?

A couple of months ago I bought a new camera and a tripod with a remote shutter. The plan was excellent. I was about to leave for a month-long journey, and the tripod would be perfect for photographing landscapes and taking self-portraits without balancing the camera on random rocks like an emotionally unstable wildlife documentary filmmaker.

Very practical equipment.

Unfortunately, both arrived only about a week before departure, which meant I had just enough time to unpack everything, press a few buttons, confirm that the camera did not immediately explode, and then confidently tell myself:

“I’ll properly learn this on the trip.”

This is one of the most optimistic lies human beings regularly tell themselves.

The tripod went into the backpack. The journey began. The camera was used constantly.

The tripod, however, remained untouched for an entire month. Not once did I use it. Which is absurd, because it would have helped me enormously.

And yet every time I considered taking it out, some excuse immediately appeared.

"This will take too much time. I’ll test it later this evening. The light is bad now. The background isn’t interesting enough. I should first learn how it works properly. If I experiment now, I’ll waste time and ruin half the photos anyway."

So the tripod remained carefully packed and psychologically dangerous.

When I came home, I placed it visibly on the table so I would finally test it immediately. Naturally, I continued avoiding it.

Several more days passed before I finally forced myself to set it up. And then something deeply annoying happened. The whole thing turned out to be absurdly simple. A few buttons. A quick pairing process. Perfect photographs within minutes.

That moment always fascinates me because it repeats itself constantly in different forms throughout my life. The resistance before certain tasks was often dramatically larger than the task itself.

And I eventually realized something important: this was not really fear of technical difficulty. It was something older and stranger.


The Fear of Looking Incompetent

What confused me for years was the contradiction itself.

I can handle objectively difficult things without much hesitation. Long journeys, physically exhausting situations, complicated projects, uncertainty, remote travel, problem-solving under pressure — none of these scare me particularly.

Yet simple things sometimes create completely irrational resistance. A new phone. A digital thermostat. Some unfamiliar software. A camera function. A device with instructions longer than three pages.

Suddenly the brain behaves as if I am preparing to operate a nuclear reactor under international observation.

And the strange part is this: experience repeatedly proves that I eventually figure these things out without major problems. Sometimes it takes five minutes. Sometimes an hour. Occasionally a day of swearing at badly translated manuals. But almost always the situation ends the same way: the thing works.

So why the resistance beforehand? Why the emotional avoidance? Why the strange tension before even beginning?

The answer, I suspect, has very little to do with technology.


The Psychological Cost of Perfectionism

At some point I understood that what I actually feared was not failure itself.

It was exposure. More precisely: the possibility of appearing incompetent while learning.

This distinction matters enormously.

I have already observed that my perfectionism developed not from arrogance or ambition, but from conditional acceptance during childhood. I grew up with the feeling — sometimes explicit, sometimes subtle — that mistakes are dangerous, embarrassing, or emotionally costly.

"Be correct. Do not fail. Do not embarrass yourself. Know things already. Do not look stupid."

Over time these messages become internalized so deeply that I no longer experience them as external pressure. They become identity.

And this creates a very strange psychological problem: learning itself starts feeling emotionally threatening. Because genuine learning always includes temporary incompetence.

You must not know something first.

You must press wrong buttons. Misunderstand instructions. Fail repeatedly. Look confused. Ask questions. Experiment badly. Make mistakes. In other words: you must temporarily tolerate being imperfect.

For many perfectionistic people, this feels psychologically unsafe. Not logically unsafe. Emotionally unsafe. And because the nervous system wants to avoid shame, it quietly begins avoiding situations where visible imperfection might appear.


Why Avoidance Looks So Rational

The truly clever part of the brain is that it rarely presents avoidance honestly. It does not say: “You are afraid of feeling incompetent.” That would be too obvious. 

Instead, it produces highly intelligent practical excuses: "Now is not the right time. You need better conditions first. You should prepare more thoroughly. This may take too long. You’re tired right now. You should first understand everything perfectly before beginning."

And these explanations sound completely reasonable. That is why perfectionistic avoidance is so difficult to recognize. It disguises itself as responsibility, preparation, efficiency, or high standards.

Meanwhile the actual emotional mechanism quietly remains underneath: "If I cannot immediately do this well, I risk feeling inadequate."

The tripod was never the problem. The problem was the possibility of briefly feeling clumsy while learning something unfamiliar.


The Fear of Questions

Looking back, I can recognize this pattern surprisingly early in life. I even avoided crossword puzzles as a child sometimes.

Which is actually ridiculous if you think about it. Crossword puzzles are supposed to be relaxing. Nobody is grading them. No international committee evaluates your crossword performance.

And yet I occasionally avoided them because I disliked the feeling of not completing them perfectly.

Even stranger: I often avoided asking questions when I did not understand something. Because somewhere deep inside, asking for help had become emotionally associated with stupidity.

I believed competent people simply knew things automatically. Which is of course nonsense.

Real competence usually means the opposite: people comfortable with learning are comfortable not knowing. Experts constantly ask questions. They experiment. They fail publicly. They read instructions. They test things badly before mastering them. 

The difference is not intelligence. The difference is tolerance for temporary imperfection.


Why the Brain Resists Beginning

One of the most interesting findings is that avoidance reduces anxiety immediately — but strengthens it long term.

The moment I postponed using the tripod, I felt temporary relief. "Good. Not dealing with that now."

But every postponement quietly increased emotional tension around the object itself. The longer something remained “unlearned,” the more psychologically significant it became. Eventually even simple actions begin carrying emotional weight completely disconnected from reality.

This explains why people sometimes procrastinate absurdly small tasks for weeks while simultaneously imagining catastrophic complexity around them.

The nervous system is no longer reacting to the task itself. It is reacting to anticipated emotional discomfort. And usually the anticipated discomfort turns out to be wildly exaggerated.

Just like the tripod.


The Strange Relief of Finally Beginning

The most frustrating part of these situations is how quickly the fear often collapses once action finally starts.

A few buttons. A quick setup. Done. That’s all. And suddenly the terrifying complicated future scenario disappears completely.

And this is important. The mind often treats uncertainty as more threatening than difficulty itself.

Before action begins, the imagination fills empty space with exaggerated complexity. "This will be hard. This will take forever. I won’t understand it. Something will go wrong." But direct interaction with reality tends to shrink those fears surprisingly fast.

Reality is usually much smaller than imagination.

Perhaps that is one of the strangest consequences of perfectionism: people who are perfectly capable of learning begin fearing the completely normal experience of learning. Not because they are incapable. But because somewhere along the way they unconsciously concluded that not already knowing means something is wrong with them.

Standing outside ourselves, this looks irrational.

Of course nobody is born understanding cameras, computers, thermostats, or software. Yet emotionally, many people still behave as if competence should appear instantly and naturally, without confusion, mistakes, or manuals translated from questionable Chinese engineering departments.

But maybe real psychological maturity begins precisely there: the moment a person becomes willing to look temporarily incompetent without experiencing it as personal failure.

Because in the end, almost everything meaningful starts exactly the same way: You do not know what you are doing. But you begin anyway.


 

Comments

Popular Posts