The House, The Dreams and the Radiators
A Very Unproductive Beginning
Yesterday I was tired, although I had not actually done very much. It was one of those strange kinds of exhaustion where the body is not exactly collapsing, but the mind behaves as if it had been carrying sacks of cement uphill all week.
By evening I gave up pretending to be productive and went to bed early. I fell asleep quickly enough, but the night itself behaved like an old washing machine — constantly stopping, rattling and starting again. I woke several times, although never fully enough to stay awake.Toward morning the dreams arrived. Not ordinary dreams.Those dangerous dreams that are so realistic you almost begin negotiating with them as if they were legal reality.
The Intruder In The Darkness
At first I heard some kind of noise downstairs. Something falling. Then loud bubbling and knocking in the heating pipes, as if the entire old house had suddenly developed digestive problems during the night. I wanted to get up and check.
Then another thought appeared: What if somebody is inside the house? That woke me immediately — or at least I thought it did.
I listened carefully.
The sound of water and air in the pipes became louder. Somewhere near the bedroom door I heard faint rustling. My mind immediately produced a complete horror film with almost no budget limitations. In the darkness I imagined a figure standing near the door holding some sort of weapon.
Probably an axe. Dreams always choose dramatic equipment.
I wanted to get up. Nothing happened. I tried harder. Still nothing.
One half of my body felt completely paralyzed. I grabbed my arm with the other hand and tried to force myself upright like a malfunctioning robot attempting basic human movement for the first time. No success.
At that moment fear arrived properly. Not ordinary fear. That deep ancient fear the human brain has carefully preserved since prehistoric times, probably from periods when something really could crawl into your cave at night and eat you.
Rational Thinking Versus Sleep Paralysis
Then reason briefly returned.
Who would walk around my house at night? And more importantly: why would anybody voluntarily break into an old half-abandoned house full of random shelves, bicycles, wires, tools and objects capable of injuring a burglar every three meters?
In fifty years nobody had ever entered this house unexpectedly. Now suddenly thieves were supposedly interested in old radiators and dusty furniture? Ridiculous. Besides, anybody walking through the ground floor in darkness would almost certainly knock something over long before reaching me. The house itself would probably defeat the intruder.
That thought calmed me slightly. Eventually I woke properly, sat up and listened.
Silence. No footsteps. No rustling. No bubbling pipes. No intruder armed with agricultural equipment. I considered checking downstairs, but not strongly enough to actually leave the bed. So naturally I fell asleep again.
And then the entire scene repeated itself. The noises. The fear. The paralysis. The feeling of someone near the door.
By morning I woke up confused, exhausted and mentally scattered.
Old Houses Remember Things
As I sat there drinking coffee and trying to become a functional human being again, I started thinking about those dreams.
What did they mean?
Of course rationally I know what happened. Sleep paralysis, half-dreaming, exhausted brain, old fears mixing with unfamiliar surroundings. The body temporarily disconnects movement during dreaming so people do not physically act out their dreams. Very practical design, honestly. Otherwise half the population would eventually throw themselves through wardrobes while dreaming about bears or tax inspectors.
But still, the dreams felt meaningful. Because this house is not emotionally neutral for me.
I spent half my life here. Then I left. Time passed.
The house became older, emptier, slightly neglected. Somewhere along the way it stopped feeling fully mine and became something stranger — almost like returning to a place from childhood that exists physically but no longer emotionally.
And now I am back. Not visiting, but living here again. Perhaps that takes more energy than I realized. Not physical energy. Mental energy.
The quiet effort of adapting. Of existing inside old memories. Of rebuilding a sense of safety in a place connected with difficult feelings.
Maybe The Mind Is Trying To Say Something
Maybe the dreams were simply my exhausted mind trying to tell me: “This place still scares you a little.”
And honestly, maybe it does. Not because the house itself is dangerous. But because old places sometimes wake old versions of ourselves.
The strange thing is that during the day the house feels completely harmless. Old walls, old furniture, creaking floors, pipes making suspicious sounds like elderly men complaining about weather. Nothing special.
But at four in the morning, with half the brain asleep and the other half directing psychological horror films, even a radiator can become a potential serial killer.
Learning To Stay
Still, despite all this, I realized something important.
I do not actually want to run away from this place. The easier solution would probably be leaving again. Finding somewhere emotionally simpler, cleaner, newer, safer.
But life does not always allow elegant exits. Sometimes the only real solution is learning how to stay. Not stubbornly, not angrily, but gradually changing the relationship with the place itself.
Maybe that is what adaptation really means: not forcing yourself to stop feeling fear, discomfort or loneliness, but remaining long enough that the mind slowly understands: “You survived this too.”
Perhaps one day these strange dreams will disappear. Or perhaps the radiators will simply learn to behave themselves at night.
Comments
Post a Comment