The Rain Was Never the Problem


Expectations, Responsibility, and the Strange Freedom of Letting Reality Exist

I was standing beneath a small tree somewhere in Mexico, watching dark rain clouds move slowly across the mountains. A few kilometers earlier it had started with light drizzle — the kind of rain cyclists optimistically ignore because admitting reality too early feels emotionally unnecessary.

Then the rain became heavier.

The branches above me began leaking larger and larger drops, and my confidence in the tree slowly disappeared together with any illusion that this situation would magically improve within the next thirty seconds.

The nearest town was still around ten kilometers away.

In practical terms, there were only two possibilities. Either I stayed there indefinitely like some damp roadside philosopher, or I continued riding and accepted that both I and most of my equipment would soon resemble abandoned laundry.

I turned toward the mountains and started cursing the weather with surprising emotional commitment, as if the clouds themselves had personally organized this inconvenience specifically to ruin my afternoon.

Now, to be fair, this was not my first argument with nature during that journey. I had already complained about heat, steep climbs, headwinds, rough terrain, dust, stones, and probably several innocent goats whose only crime was existing near the road while I suffered dramatically nearby.

But this time something felt different.

This was not casual complaining anymore. I was genuinely angry.

And then, somewhere between irritation and resignation, a very simple thought appeared: What exactly is the rain guilty of?

The rain did not invite me there.
It did not force me to cycle through remote Mexican mountains.
It did not promise perfect weather conditions.
It did not sign any agreement guaranteeing comfort.

The rain was simply doing what rain does.

Meanwhile, I was the one standing there with a head full of expectations about how reality should behave.

And suddenly the whole situation became psychologically absurd.

A human being voluntarily travels across the world, places himself in physically difficult conditions, and then becomes offended because nature refuses to cooperate with his personal preferences.

Standing there beneath that tree, I slowly realized something uncomfortable: most frustration begins exactly like this.

Not with reality itself — but with the collision between reality and expectation.


The Human Mind’s Addiction to “Should”

Psychology has long observed that human suffering is often intensified not by events themselves, but by our interpretation of how those events “should” have unfolded. This appears constantly in ordinary life.

You miss a bus and immediately feel irritation. But the bus is not attacking you personally. The schedule simply continued existing independently of your expectations.

A friend forgets to come for coffee, and disappointment appears. Not because the universe malfunctioned, but because reality diverged from the emotional scenario your mind had already prepared.

And then the thought became even more uncomfortable.

What happens when other people expect something from me — and I fail to fulfill it?

Suppose a friend expects me to show up somewhere, but I forget. Or I simply do not feel like going. Or life interferes in some completely ordinary human way. Am I automatically guilty for the collapse of another person’s expectation?

At first glance this sounds selfish, almost provocative. Modern society strongly trains people to feel responsible not only for their actions, but often for the emotional expectations of everyone around them. And this is where things become psychologically dangerous.

Because somewhere during childhood, most people quietly absorb an enormous invisible archive of expectations.

Be productive.
Be polite.
Be responsible.
Do not disappoint others.
Work hard.
Be emotionally stable.
Be successful.
Be organized.
Be kind.
Be disciplined.
Be better.

Over time these external expectations stop sounding external. They become internalized. The voice of parents, schools, culture, employers, and society slowly transforms into a permanent internal narrator.

Eventually, people no longer need external pressure because they begin supervising themselves.

Psychologists sometimes describe this as the development of the “inner critic” — a deeply ingrained mental system constantly evaluating whether a person is living up to expected standards.

And the problem is obvious: human beings can never permanently satisfy an impossible psychological system built on perfection, predictability, and control.


Why Modern People Feel Constantly Guilty

One of the strangest features of modern life is that many people experience chronic guilt without having done anything particularly wrong.

They feel guilty for resting.
Guilty for lacking motivation.
Guilty for feeling exhausted.
Guilty for disappointing someone.
Guilty for not becoming the idealized version of themselves they imagined years earlier.

And eventually this becomes psychologically exhausting.

Research on anxiety disorders repeatedly shows that anxious individuals tend to overestimate both responsibility and control. The nervous system behaves as if every unpleasant outcome could and should have been prevented through enough effort, awareness, or self-discipline.

But reality does not function like that.

People forget things.
Bodies become tired.
Plans fail.
Weather changes.
Relationships shift.
Energy disappears.
Motivation fluctuates.

Life constantly refuses to obey internal expectations. And yet many people continue experiencing this as personal failure.

That realization hit me quite hard while standing there in the rain. Because I suddenly recognized how much of my own stress throughout life had originated from expectations I had accepted as absolute truth.

Not just expectations from others — but expectations from myself. Somewhere deep inside, there still existed an old psychological file containing all the familiar instructions:
You should be stronger.
You should work harder.
You should manage better.
You should not fail.
You should not disappoint people.
You should always function properly.

And when reality inevitably collided with those expectations, guilt appeared automatically. The mechanism was so deeply installed that I rarely questioned it.


Nature and the Collapse of Illusion

There is something psychologically powerful about spending long periods in nature because nature does not negotiate with human expectation.

Rain falls.
Heat arrives.
Wind exists.
Mountains remain steep regardless of emotional preference.

And strangely, this can become liberating.

Modern life often creates the illusion that everything should be controllable with enough planning, productivity, optimization, or effort. People slowly begin believing they should also control emotions, outcomes, relationships, careers, health, and even happiness itself.

Nature dismantles this fantasy fairly quickly.

When you stand alone beneath a leaking tree in the rain, the illusion of total control starts looking slightly ridiculous.

You can complain if you want. The weather remains unimpressed.

And perhaps that is why people often think more clearly outdoors. Reality becomes too immediate for endless psychological abstraction. The brain slowly stops fighting existence and begins adapting to it.

There is a fascinating psychological concept known as “acceptance.” Not passive resignation, but the ability to allow reality to exist without continuously demanding it become something else.

Research in modern psychotherapy — especially approaches such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy — increasingly suggests that psychological suffering grows dramatically when people become trapped in constant resistance against thoughts, emotions, uncertainty, and imperfect reality.

The more desperately people attempt to eliminate discomfort entirely, the more psychologically fragile they often become.

Meanwhile, acceptance tends to reduce internal conflict.

And standing beneath that tree, completely unable to negotiate with the rain, I accidentally practiced exactly that. Not because I had achieved spiritual enlightenment.

I simply ran out of useful arguments with the weather.


The Difference Between Responsibility and Control

Of course, none of this means human beings should abandon responsibility or stop caring about others. That would merely create a different psychological disaster involving selfishness and emotional chaos. But perhaps many people would live more peacefully if they learned to separate responsibility from impossible expectation.

You are responsible for your actions. You are not responsible for controlling every outcome.
You are responsible for effort. Not for perfection.
You are responsible for honesty and intention. Not for fulfilling every emotional expectation surrounding you.

This sounds obvious when written down.

Yet emotionally, most people continue living as if they are personally responsible for preventing all disappointment, failure, uncertainty, and discomfort — both in themselves and in others.

No wonder modern nervous systems remain exhausted.

As I stood there beneath that tree, soaked, tired, and increasingly aware that the rain had absolutely no interest in my emotional opinions, something inside me became unexpectedly quieter.

The weather had not improved. The situation remained inconvenient. I still had ten wet kilometers ahead of me.

But mentally, something shifted.

For the first time I understood that the rain had never actually been the problem.

The real problem was the endless belief that reality was supposed to behave according to my expectations in the first place.



Comments

Popular Posts