When Beliefs Become Stronger Than Facts


Coffee, Shade, and Politics

A few days ago, I was sitting outside with an older neighbor, enjoying one of those quiet afternoons that almost force a person to slow down. We sat in pleasant shade, drinking coffee while soft sunlight filtered through the leaves. It was peaceful in the kind of way only retirement, old gardens, and warm afternoons can create.

My neighbor is a retired schoolteacher, intelligent, calm and reasonable. The kind of person you expect to be thoughtful and balanced.

Somehow, the conversation drifted toward politics.

Normally I avoid political discussions. Not because I have no opinions, but because they so rarely lead anywhere useful. Most political debates today resemble two angry football fans screaming at each other while neither actually watches the match.

Still, almost accidentally, I mentioned that I was not particularly fond of the current political option in our country. Not even because of ideology, but because many of its representatives seem rude, arrogant, insulting, and strangely aggressive toward opponents.

I added that some of the arguments they use against political rivals are so absurd that even a street lamp would probably find them embarrassing.

My neighbor looked genuinely surprised.

“Oh really?” she asked. “I’ve never heard anything like that.”

That immediately caught my attention. Never?

I mentioned two or three public figures who had repeatedly behaved in a very insulting and hostile way toward others. I added that I personally had not noticed similar behavior from the opposing coalition, at least not to the same extent.

She immediately rejected the idea.

“Oh no,” she said. “I’ve never heard anything like that. Maybe it just seemed that way to you. This government is good. They’ll do many useful things.”

And that was the end of the discussion. Not because we argued. Not because voices were raised. But because I suddenly realized something interesting: My words had probably never truly entered her thinking process at all.

They bounced away like a ping-pong ball hitting a wall.


Did She Even Hear Me?

I quietly changed the subject and continued drinking coffee while another conversation started inside my own head.

The woman clearly supported the current political side. Fair enough. Everyone has opinions.

But what fascinated me was something else entirely. Did my argument even reach the part of her mind responsible for critical thinking? Did her brain actually pause for a second and evaluate what I said? Or did it instantly reject the information the moment it detected disagreement?

That question stayed with me much longer than the political discussion itself, because I began noticing something uncomfortable: 

Perhaps people with strong beliefs often do not truly process opposing arguments at all.

Not deeply, honestly or rationally. Instead, the mind immediately begins searching for excuses, counterarguments, emotional reactions, or ways to dismiss the discomfort.

The process is incredibly fast. Almost automatic. Information that supports our beliefs is accepted immediately. Information that threatens them is filtered out before it even properly arrives. Human beings are apparently much less rational than we like to imagine. 

Which is slightly depressing for a species that invented quantum physics but still argues on Facebook like medieval villagers discussing witchcraft.


The Strange Power of Belief

The more I thought about it, the more another question appeared.

How do intelligent people adopt beliefs that clearly have no logical foundation? How can perfectly educated and otherwise rational individuals become anti-vaccine extremists, flat Earth believers, conspiracy fanatics, cult followers, or defenders of obviously absurd ideas? 

At first glance, it seems impossible. Surely intelligence alone should protect people from nonsense? Apparently not. History repeatedly proves the opposite.

Some extremely intelligent people have believed absolutely ridiculous things. And once belief becomes emotionally important, intelligence can actually make the problem worse. Highly intelligent people are often simply better at constructing explanations for why they must be right.

In other words: they become more sophisticated defenders of irrationality. Which is honestly a little terrifying.


Why Charlatans Are So Convincing

I suspect there are many reasons why people fall into irrational beliefs, but one factor seems especially powerful: confidence.

People are deeply attracted to confident individuals. Especially during uncertain times. A confident charlatan often sounds far more convincing than a cautious expert.

The expert says: “We are not entirely certain. This is complicated. There are multiple factors.”

The charlatan says: “I know the truth.”

And human beings love certainty. Especially frightened human beings. Conspiracy creators, manipulative politicians, cult leaders, miracle healers, internet gurus — many of them understand one thing extremely well:

People do not primarily seek truth. They seek emotional comfort. They seek security, certainty, belonging, simplicity, and someone who appears absolutely sure of themselves.

Once somebody pushes the right emotional button, logic often becomes secondary. Or disappears entirely.


The Brain Is Lazy

The uncomfortable truth may simply be that the human brain is designed more for survival than for objective truth.

Thinking critically is exhausting. Questioning your own beliefs is painful. Admitting you were wrong can feel almost physically uncomfortable. So the brain saves energy. It prefers shortcuts.

Once a belief becomes part of identity, changing it feels dangerous. A person no longer hears:
“You may be mistaken.”

Instead they hear: “You are under attack.”

And once identity becomes involved, logic usually loses. This is why arguing with deeply convinced people often feels strangely pointless. No matter how strong the evidence is, the conversation changes nothing.

You are not debating facts anymore. You are challenging identity, tribe, emotion, and psychological safety. That is a much bigger battle than simple logic.


We Are Probably All Like This

The most uncomfortable realization, however, came later. What if I am exactly the same? That thought is less pleasant. It is easy to notice irrationality in others. Much harder to notice it in yourself.

Maybe some of my own beliefs also survive because I emotionally prefer them. Maybe I also reject certain information too quickly. Maybe my brain also filters reality through preference, emotion, and ego.

That possibility is humbling. Because once you realize how easily the human mind can become trapped inside belief, you stop feeling intellectually superior very quickly.

You become more cautious. At least hopefully.


The Danger of Certainty

Perhaps the real danger is not ignorance itself. Perhaps the real danger is certainty. Absolute certainty.

The moment a person becomes completely convinced they already possess the full truth, curiosity usually disappears. And without curiosity, the mind slowly closes itself off from reality. That happens in politics. Religion. Conspiracy theories. Relationships. Social media. Even everyday arguments over completely trivial things.

Human beings are remarkably skilled at defending ideas they never seriously examined in the first place. And modern society probably makes this even worse. Today algorithms constantly feed people exactly the information they already agree with.

The result?

Everyone slowly builds their own private reality. Somewhere along the way, many people stopped searching for truth and started searching only for confirmation.


Maybe the Most Important Skill

In the end, that afternoon conversation about politics turned out to be much more interesting than politics itself.

It became a reminder of something much larger. Perhaps one of the most important human skills is the ability to genuinely question our own certainty. Not because we must abandon every opinion. Not because all ideas are equally valid.

But because the moment we completely lose the ability to doubt ourselves, we become vulnerable to almost anything: propaganda, manipulation, ideology, cults, conspiracy theories, charismatic fools, and sometimes even our own emotions.

And maybe wisdom is not really about being right all the time. Maybe wisdom begins the moment a person quietly admits:

“I could be wrong.”

Comments

Popular Posts