When Morning Anxiety Quietly Takes Over
A Strange Kind of Absence
The morning began slowly, wrapped in fog that still lingered between the trees across the road. The sun was already somewhere behind it, trying to break through, but everything outside still looked pale, soft, and half asleep.
I had woken up slightly too late for my liking. Not terribly late. Just late enough for that unpleasant thought to immediately appear:
"You are already behind."
I lay there for a few seconds, staring at the ceiling. I had actually slept fairly well, although I woke up several times during the night. Still, compared to some periods in my life, this counted as decent sleep.
Then the brain started. "You need to get outside before it becomes too hot. The flowers need watering.
The fan still needs repairing. You forgot to answer that message yesterday. You should really stop postponing things."
Within ten seconds, my mind already felt crowded.
Coffee, Cigarettes, and Noise
I got up quickly and pulled on yesterday’s shirt. Then I remembered I had stained it the previous day.
“Right. Need to change this first.”
Before changing it, another thought interrupted me: “I should answer that message before I forget again.”
Instead of changing the shirt, I walked outside with a cigarette.
Halfway through the doorway, I remembered coffee. Of course. Back inside.
At moments like these, human intelligence becomes somewhat questionable. We proudly build satellites and artificial intelligence, yet in the morning we wander between rooms looking for coffee, cigarettes, socks, and forgotten thoughts like slightly confused farm animals.
A few minutes later I finally sat outside with coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other.
The fog still hung low behind the trees. Somewhere in the bushes birds were already making noise. A magpie screamed from the walnut tree with the emotional stability of an angry politician on television.
And meanwhile my thoughts raced everywhere except where I physically was. "The fan. The flowers. Money. Messages. Work. Things unfinished. Things delayed. Things avoided. Things waiting."
Looking at the Fog
I suddenly noticed that I had nearly finished the cigarette without even realizing I was smoking it. That disturbed me.
I sat there for a moment, staring at the coffee cup.
Something is wrong. Not dramatically wrong. Not panic attack wrong. Not disaster wrong. But wrong enough.
I realized I had been completely absent for at least half an hour.
My body sat outside in the fresh morning air while my mind wandered through a crowded warehouse filled with unfinished obligations, worries, small anxieties, and background noise.
One thought immediately jumped into another without pause, like television channels changing every two seconds. The strange part is how normal this state can begin to feel. A person becomes so used to internal noise that they no longer even notice it. Until one moment suddenly arrives where you almost feel separated from yourself.
I looked across the garden again. The trees stood quietly in the fog. Drops of water still clung to the grass. The leaves moved gently in the morning breeze.
I tried focusing on them.
Almost instantly another thought interrupted: "You really should repair the fan before noon."
I almost laughed. “No! Stop!”
For a few seconds I forced myself to keep looking outside instead of following the thoughts. The fog.
The wet grass. The movement of leaves. Birdsong somewhere behind the bushes. The strange distant light hidden behind gray mist.
Again the thoughts tried pulling me away. "You still haven’t answered that message. You’re wasting time. You need to get moving."
Then: “No. Stop.”
I continued staring at the foggy trees like a man trying to negotiate peace with his own nervous system. And slowly, very slowly, something inside me began calming down. Not instantly. Not magically.
Not like in motivational videos where a person suddenly achieves enlightenment after three deep breaths and a sunset.
The Art of Catching Yourself
Real life is less cinematic. The mind resists. It keeps returning to unfinished things because anxious thinking creates the illusion that worrying itself is useful. But often it is not. Often it is just exhaustion disguised as productivity.
That realization took me years to understand.
There was a period in my life when I constantly thought about poor sleep, lack of energy, failure, uselessness, and all the things I was postponing. The more overwhelmed I became, the more time I spent sitting, thinking, analyzing, worrying, and mentally rehearsing life instead of actually living it.
And strangely enough, that only made everything worse.
The less energy I had, the more I thought. The more I thought, the less I did. The less I did, the more anxious I became. A beautifully stupid psychological trap.
At some point over the years I slowly learned something important: I must notice myself early enough. That is the key. If I fail to notice when the anxious internal machinery starts running, half the day disappears into mental fog.
Then the guilt begins. Then the feeling of uselessness. Then even more overthinking. And meanwhile, many of the problems could already have been partially solved with simple action. Water the flowers. Answer the message. Repair the fan. Do one thing calmly.
But anxiety hates calm simplicity. It prefers chaos.
Modern life makes this even worse because the brain almost never rests anymore. News. Notifications. Facebook. Messages. Videos. Problems. Politics. Algorithms constantly fighting for attention. The nervous system becomes overheated.
And then one morning you suddenly realize you are sitting outside with coffee and a cigarette while your mind runs through ten imaginary disasters before breakfast.
Nature as an External Signal
That morning I simply kept looking outside. At the fog, the leaves, the wet grass, at the pale sunlight slowly appearing behind the trees. The magpie was still screaming from the walnut tree as if personally offended by existence itself. Oddly enough, even that helped.
Nature gives the nervous system completely different signals from screens and thoughts. Outside, nothing urgently demands your attention. The trees are not arguing. The fog is not posting political opinions. Birds are not sending notifications every seven seconds.
The body slowly begins understanding something the mind had forgotten: at this exact moment, nothing terrible is happening.
And after maybe fifteen or twenty minutes, the pressure inside me noticeably weakened. The problems still existed. The obligations still waited. The day had not magically repaired itself. But the panic behind those thoughts slowly moved into the background.
The fog was beginning to disappear now. Sunlight pushed through the trees. Birdsong became louder. And for the first time that morning, I finally felt present again. Not trapped somewhere inside my own anxious thoughts. Not mentally running ten kilometers ahead into future problems.
Just there. Sitting quietly with coffee in cool morning air while the world slowly woke up around me.
It is strange how easily a person can disappear inside their own mind. And even stranger how sometimes the way back is simply: to stop, to look at the trees, and to finally notice where you actually are.
Solution or method?
Perhaps this is why I slowly began understanding that the worst thing I can do during anxious moments is continue feeding the noise inside my own head.
The more attention I give to chaotic thoughts, the stronger they become. The brain keeps jumping from one problem to another, searching for solutions, catastrophes, explanations, and imaginary future disasters. And after a while, a person no longer thinks clearly at all — they simply drown in mental noise.
That is why stopping and shifting attention outward became one of the most effective ways for me to interrupt anxiety and overthinking. Not by fighting thoughts directly. Not by forcing myself to “think positively.” And certainly not by endlessly analyzing every feeling.
But by reconnecting with reality itself. The fog. The trees. Birdsong. Wind. Grass moving in the morning air. Simple physical tasks. Movement. Silence.
Nature and the outside world slowly pull attention away from the endless internal monologue and return the nervous system back into the present moment. And strangely enough, that is often where anxiety begins losing its strength. Not because problems disappear. But because the mind finally stops trying to solve all of life at once.
Comments
Post a Comment