The Strange Disappearance of the Self

Constant Activity Can Become Emotional Anesthesia

One sentence kept returning to my mind recently: “Constant activity can function like emotional anesthesia.”

The more I thought about it, the more uncomfortable it became. Mostly because I realized I knew exactly what it meant.

There are evenings when I suddenly notice that I have been mentally absent for hours. Sometimes for an entire day. Usually during periods when I work intensely, focus on problems, organize things, write, analyze, answer messages, solve technical issues, or spend too much time inside intellectual tasks.

From the outside, it looks productive. Inside, it can feel strangely empty. Not sad exactly. More like… absent.

As if I stopped experiencing myself somewhere during the day and quietly turned into an automated system executing instructions from another program.

The strange thing is that this state does not necessarily feel bad while it is happening. In fact, it can feel efficient, focused, even satisfying for a while. Tasks get completed. Problems get solved. Work moves forward.

But eventually, usually late in the evening, something inside notices: “I am not really here anymore.”

That realization always unsettles me a little.

Not All Escapism Looks Like Addiction

What makes this interesting is that I am not talking about endless phone scrolling or obvious internet addiction. In fact, I dislike most social media precisely because I can see the machinery behind it too clearly.

Infinite scrolling. Advertisements disguised as entertainment. Algorithms designed to hold attention hostage. Artificial stimulation engineered to prevent people from leaving. Once you notice the mechanism, it becomes difficult not to see it everywhere.

So I rarely lose myself in the typical modern digital trance.

But computers can create another form of anesthesia that looks much more respectable. Work. Research. Projects. Productivity. Intellectual immersion.

The dangerous part is that society rewards this version. If somebody spends ten hours scrolling meaningless content, they usually recognize the emptiness afterward. But if somebody spends ten hours working intensely, solving problems, creating systems, producing results — it appears meaningful.

And sometimes it genuinely is meaningful. But the nervous system does not always distinguish between meaningful engagement and chronic self-disappearance. That is the strange part.

Becoming an Internal Machine

The feeling is difficult to describe unless someone has experienced it. It is not burnout exactly. Not depression. Not even anxiety. More like narrowing.

Consciousness becomes highly functional but emotionally thin. Attention becomes compressed into tasks, instructions, deadlines, problems, information. The system works efficiently, but something human quietly fades into the background. The body continues moving. The brain continues calculating. The hands continue typing.

But somewhere inside appears a strange sensation: “I cannot feel myself anymore.”

And what fascinates me is that the body often notices this before the intellect does. Not through dramatic collapse, or through panic, but through resistance.

Sudden resistance toward Facebook. Resistance toward screens. Resistance toward work itself. A strange feeling of saturation. Almost physical disgust. As if some older part of the nervous system finally says: “Enough. This is no longer life.”

The Crocodile Learns Slowly

I sometimes jokingly call that ancient part of the brain “The Crocodile.”

The primitive survival system. The older biological machinery underneath rational thought.

And lately I’ve started wondering whether my Crocodile has slowly begun recognizing that certain forms of mental anesthesia are dangerous. Not dangerous in the dramatic sense. Dangerous because they disconnect me from direct experience. From presence, from emotional reality, from myself.

The interesting thing is that this primitive system probably cannot be convinced through logic alone. You cannot simply explain to it: “Too much work is unhealthy. You need balance. You should spend more time present in your life.”

The Crocodile does not read philosophy books. It learns through sensation and association. Through repeated emotional experience. And perhaps that means the brain slowly starts building new unconscious connections:

Alcohol → numbness, emotional distance, bad sleep, inner emptiness.

Mental overwork → absence, disconnection, loss of self.

Constant stimulation → emotional flattening.

While other experiences begin creating the opposite associations:

Nature → regulation.

Movement → reconnection.

Silence → relief.

Creativity without pressure → aliveness.

Presence → safety.

The Difference Between Rest and Returning to Yourself

I think many people unconsciously misunderstand rest. Modern life often frames rest simply as: “Stopping work.”

But stopping work is not necessarily the same as reconnecting with yourself. A person can stop working completely while remaining psychologically fragmented and overstimulated.

That is why passive distraction often does not regenerate people very well. The body may technically rest while the nervous system continues spinning endlessly underneath.

True recovery seems to involve something else entirely. Not just inactivity.

Presence.

Feeling yourself again. Feeling the environment around you. Feeling time passing normally. Feeling emotionally connected to reality instead of hypnotized by abstraction.

Sometimes this happens during a walk, sometimes while cycling. Sometimes while observing the evening sky. Sometimes through physical work with the hands. Sometimes through a quiet conversation. Sometimes through ten minutes without screens, where the nervous system slowly remembers that the world still exists beyond tasks and information.

The Healthy Resistance

And perhaps that strange resistance I occasionally feel toward Facebook, endless work, or mental anesthesia is not a problem at all. Perhaps it is something healthy trying to survive.

Because the truly frightening possibility is not exhaustion. It is disappearing without noticing. Becoming so functionally absorbed that life slowly turns into a sequence of completed tasks without direct emotional presence inside them.

I suspect many modern people quietly live in this state for years. Efficient, productive, mentally occupied, but emotionally absent.

And maybe that is why some part of me eventually rebels. Not because it hates work. Not because it rejects discipline. But because something deeper inside still insists on remaining alive.

As if the nervous system itself keeps whispering: “Do not disappear. Come back. Be here.”

Comments

Popular Posts