The Value of a Good Question
The Thought That Wouldn't Leave
A while ago, during one of those long conversations that somehow wander from one topic to another without any clear direction, somebody told me something interesting.
"People who ask good questions are often far more useful than people who already have answers for everything."The sentence stayed somewhere in the back of my mind for days afterward. Not because it sounded particularly profound at first. In fact, when I heard it, I almost dismissed it as one of those clever internet phrases people like to repeat while drinking coffee and pretending they have solved life.
But the more I thought about it, the more uncomfortable it became. Mostly because I realized it described me rather well.
Sometimes I sit down with a tiny idea, barely worth noticing. A strange thought appears for half a second while washing dishes, smoking outside, walking somewhere, or reading something completely unrelated. Most people probably forget such thoughts immediately.
Unfortunately, my brain doesn't. It grabs the idea and starts pulling at it like a dog dragging an old shoe out from beneath a fence.
The problem is that one thought rarely arrives alone.
Suppose I notice something simple. Why do some people become anxious while others remain calm? Why do some people recover from difficult experiences while others fall apart years later? Why do intelligent people believe ridiculous things? Why do some people lose the ability to laugh? Why does silence in nature calm me more effectively than social media?
The question appears almost accidentally. Then the trouble begins because once I have one question, I immediately want to know what sits behind it. And behind that answer there is usually another question. Then another. And another.
Sometimes I feel like I spend half my life wandering through corridors where every door opens into three more corridors.
Suspicious of Easy Answers
The strange thing is that the more I learn about something, the less certain I become.
When I was younger, I often thought knowledge worked differently. I imagined intelligent people as people who possessed answers. Solid answers. Confident answers. The kind of people who can immediately explain politics, psychology, relationships, economics, health, and the meaning of life while standing beside a barbecue holding a beer.
The older I get, the more suspicious I become of such people.
Really intelligent people often seem slightly uncomfortable with certainty. The moment they answer one question, they immediately start noticing complications. Exceptions. Contradictions. Missing pieces. They become cautious.
Meanwhile people who understand almost nothing usually explain everything with astonishing confidence. Social media is full of them. Give a man a smartphone, half a conspiracy theory, and a motivational quote and within twenty minutes he becomes a philosopher, economist, psychologist, and geopolitical analyst simultaneously.
Humanity has probably never produced so many experts with so little effort.
Arguing With Washing Machines
Sometimes, after writing one of my stories or articles, I return to Facebook and scroll through discussions about anxiety, addiction, depression, relationships, politics, or life in general.
The same questions appear repeatedly. Underneath them come hundreds of answers.Usually the same answers.
People argue confidently. They explain things to one another. They correct each other. Occasionally they insult each other. Somebody always writes in capital letters, which apparently transforms ordinary opinions into important truths.
And every now and then I feel tempted to answer too.
Not because I believe I possess some ultimate wisdom. Usually quite the opposite. Sometimes I simply recognize the question because I once asked myself exactly the same thing.
Occasionally I even know an answer that genuinely helped me years ago. But more and more often I stop myself before typing. Partly because arguing on the internet feels strangely similar to shouting life advice into a washing machine. Lots of movement, lots of noise, very little actual progress.
But also because I have started suspecting something else.
Many people search for answers before they have found the right question.
Questions That Follow You Around
I think that is why certain conversations stay with us while others disappear immediately.
A good question unsettles you. It follows you around. It sits quietly somewhere in your head while you make coffee, repair a bicycle tire, buy groceries, or stare at fog moving between trees early in the morning.
A bad question usually demands quick answers. A good question changes the way you look at things.
Years ago I believed the important part was finding answers. Now I am less certain. Some answers are temporary anyway. Others turn out to be completely wrong a few years later.
Questions, however, are interesting. Especially uncomfortable ones. Why am I anxious? Why do I constantly overthink things? Why do some people need alcohol while others don't? Why do I feel absent from my own life sometimes? Why do I become exhausted even when nothing terrible is happening? Why do I feel calmer in the forest than on the internet? Those questions did not immediately solve anything.
But they changed the direction in which I was looking. And sometimes that matters more.
The Internet Loves Certainty
The internet, however, does not particularly enjoy good questions.
Good questions are slow. They require uncertainty. They force people to think. Social media prefers certainty.
Fast answers. Strong opinions. Simple explanations. The system rewards people who sound confident, not necessarily people who are thoughtful.
A man who says: "I don't know, but this is complicated," will never compete successfully against somebody shouting: "Wake up! The truth is obvious!"
Unfortunately, human beings often prefer certainty even when it is nonsense. Especially when life becomes frightening or confusing.
Pulling at the Thread
This may also explain why I continue writing these strange little essays that begin with something trivial and then slowly wander somewhere unexpected.
Sometimes even I don't know exactly where they are going when I begin. A small observation appears. Somebody laughs louder than I do. A person offers an alcoholic a beer without understanding why that matters. A support group sounds wiser than motivational gurus. A foggy morning feels more therapeutic than scrolling through Facebook.
Then I start pulling at the thread. And eventually an entire story appears.
Not because I already knew the answer. Because I wanted to understand the question better.
The Questions We Recognize
Perhaps that is also why people occasionally write to me after reading something and say:
"I thought I was the only one who felt like that."
I do not think they are responding to answers. I think they recognize the question.
That strange moment when another human being describes something you quietly carried inside yourself but never properly explained. And perhaps that is what makes questions valuable.
Not because they always lead to solutions. But because they help people recognize themselves.
These days I trust people a little more when they admit uncertainty.
The older I get, the less impressed I am by those who explain everything immediately. Life rarely behaves that neatly. Human beings certainly don't.
So whenever somebody confidently claims to possess all the answers, I become slightly nervous. But when somebody asks a thoughtful question, I usually become interested. Because good questions open doors.
Good answers often close them. And once in a while, one good question can quietly change the direction of an entire life.
Comments
Post a Comment