Why Advice Rarely Helps an Addict

Most mornings, while drinking coffee, I spend a few minutes scrolling through social media. Not because I find it particularly useful. Mostly out of habit. Somewhere between photographs of people's lunches, political arguments, sleeping cats, and advertisements for things nobody really needs, there is always an endless supply of advice.

The internet is overflowing with advice. If you drink too much, somebody has a solution. If you are anxious, somebody has a solution. If you are depressed, lonely, overworked, unhappy, exhausted, unmotivated, emotionally unavailable, emotionally available, too optimistic, or insufficiently optimistic, somebody has a solution.

The advertisements are everywhere.

"Do you struggle with alcohol?"

"Are you suffering from anxiety?"

"Do you feel stuck in life?"

"Join our program and transform your future."

"Take control of your life today."

"Become the best version of yourself."

Sometimes I wonder whether there are any ordinary people left in the world. According to social media, every second person appears to be suffering from something that can fortunately be cured by purchasing a course, joining a webinar, subscribing to a channel, or downloading a free guide.

If all those promises were true, humanity should have solved addiction, depression, anxiety, and most psychological suffering years ago. Yet somehow it hasn't.

The strange thing is that one day I noticed something interesting. When I occasionally read support groups for alcoholics, recovering addicts, or people struggling with serious mental health problems, the atmosphere is completely different. 

Almost nobody gives grand advice. Nobody promises transformation. Nobody explains how wonderful life will become if you simply follow seven easy steps. Instead, the messages are surprisingly short.

"Hang in there."

"Call your doctor."

"Go to a meeting."

"Don't drink today."

"If it gets worse, go to the emergency department."

At first I found this surprising. Then I remembered what addiction actually feels like. Suddenly the difference made perfect sense.


The Problem With Advice

Most people who have never experienced addiction imagine it as a bad habit.

That is understandable. From the outside, it certainly looks that way. A person drinks too much and the drinking creates problems. Therefore, the obvious solution appears simple: stop drinking. The logic seems flawless. 

The problem is that addiction rarely operates according to logic. The people giving advice usually see alcohol as the problem. The addict sees alcohol as the solution. That single difference changes everything.

Years ago, when my own drinking was becoming more serious, I didn't wake up thinking: "I would like to destroy my life today." Nobody thinks that. I woke up wanting relief. Relief from anxiety, from pressure, from endless thinking and from emotional pain I couldn't properly describe at the time.

Alcohol happened to provide that relief. Temporarily, poorly, at a terrible long-term cost, but it worked.


The Pain Nobody Sees

People often understand physical pain. If you break your leg, nobody questions your suffering. If you have a toothache, nobody asks whether you're exaggerating. But emotional pain is different. It is invisible. And because it is invisible, many people underestimate it.

Those who have never experienced severe anxiety or depression often imagine emotional suffering as a stronger version of sadness. Unfortunately, it is not. At its worst, Strong emotional pain can be far more difficult to tolerate than physical pain.

I could probably tolerate a surprising amount of physical discomfort. I have fallen from bicycles. I have climbed through rough terrain. I have spent entire days exhausted, cold, hungry, and uncomfortable.Those things are unpleasant. But emotional pain is different. When anxiety is severe, it follows you everywhere. When depression settles in, it changes the color of the entire world.

When your mind becomes a battlefield, there is no place to escape from it because the battlefield travels with you. You carry it inside your own head.


The World's Most Effective Medicine

This is where many people completely misunderstand addiction.

Alcohol was never my reward. It was my medicine. A terrible, destructive medicine, but medicine nonetheless.

Imagine waking up in the morning with a crushing weight sitting on your chest. Imagine your thoughts racing before your feet even touch the floor. Imagine carrying a hundred worries that refuse to leave. Now imagine discovering that a few drinks make all of that disappear. Not permanently, just for a few hours, but disappear nonetheless.

That experience changes a person. The brain, the nervous system remembers. And eventually the first thought becomes automatic. Not because you are weak or you lack information but because your brain has already learned where relief can be found.

That is why so much advice sounds ridiculous to people trapped inside addiction. Not wrong, just ridiculous.


The Walk That Never Happened

Many years ago, people occasionally told me things like: "Go for a walk. Exercise more. Find new hobbies. Meet positive people. Change your mindset."

None of these were bad suggestions. The problem was timing. Imagine a cancer patient in severe pain. Then imagine removing the morphine and saying: "Why don't you try gardening?" 

Gardening might be wonderful. It might improve quality of life and might even become deeply meaningful. But in that moment it cannot compete with morphine.

And this is how many addicts experience advice. Not because the advice is bad, but because the pain is stronger.


Knowing Is Not Enough

One of the strangest parts of addiction is that most addicts already know exactly what they should do.

They do not need more information. They already know. I knew, for years. I knew drinking was destroying my life. It was making anxiety worse. it was damaging relationships. I knew it was creating problems instead of solving them. I knew all of that. The problem was that knowing and doing are completely different things.

People often imagine addicts as confused. Many are not confused at all. They are trapped. There is a difference. A trapped person may see the exit perfectly clearly.

They simply cannot reach it. At least not yet.


Hitting the Bottom

If information alone cured addiction, recovery groups would not exist. There would be no hospitals and  detox units.

Unfortunately, something else usually has to happen first. The addict's brain must eventually become more afraid of continuing than of stopping. That moment looks different for everyone. Sometimes it is a divorce, losing a job, a hospital bed, and sometimes it is simply waking up one morning and realizing that life has become unbearably small.

For me, the process was gradual. I spent years knowing I needed to change. Years. Every morning, every evening, every promise and every failed attempt. I knew, and still I continued. Not because I was stupid or enjoyed suffering.

Because the alternative felt even more frightening.


The Hand That Matters

Looking back, I understand now why support groups sound so different from advertisements.

The people there have usually been through it themselves. They know that lectures, motivational speeches, and arguments rarely help. At least not in the beginning.

What often helps is something much simpler. Someone sitting beside you and saying:

"Come with me."

"Let's go to the hospital."

"Let's call somebody."

"Let's get through today."

Not next year. Not forever. Today.

That kind of help feels very different because it acknowledges reality. It does not pretend the road will be easy, it does not promise instant happiness.

It simply offers a hand when somebody is stuck in the mud and no longer knows how to climb out.


The Strange Truth

The strange truth about addiction is that most people who suffer from it already know they are walking down a dead-end road.

They know, usually long before anyone else tells them. The real problem is not knowledge, the real problem is pain. That is why recovery is so difficult. Not because people do not understand what they should do but because they understand it perfectly and are terrified of what comes next.

That fear is real. The suffering is real. The struggle is real. But so is recovery.

Sometimes it begins not with a brilliant piece of advice, but with one quiet moment of clarity before the first drink. A moment when somebody reaches out and says: "Come with me. We'll figure this out together."

Comments

Popular Posts